Whether verbal (oral or written) communication or nonverbal communication the ability to communicate effectively is a critical skill that all candidates should possess. In today’s workplace, communication skills are consistently one of the top skills employers are looking for and developing these skills can give candidates a big edge on the competition.
The CSB exam validates that candidates entering the workforce understand key communication principles and skills that are necessary to be effective in a work environment. While the key skill being measured is communication, the nature of this exam will also help students with the other 3 of “the 4 C’s”:
PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION EXAM:
The Communication Skills for Business (CSB) Professional Communication exam validates that candidates entering the workforce understand key communication principles and skills that are necessary to be effective in a work environment.
Professional Communication Exam Objectives:
The CSB certification exam is a 50-minute exam with approximately 35-50 questions covering the following objectives:
1. Describe Basic Communication Principles
2. Plan for Effective Communication
3. Apply Best Practices for Creating Business Deliverables
4. Deliver Your Message
5. Receive Communications
6. Analyze Communication Scenarios
ENGLISH FOR IT EXAM:
The Communication Skills for Business (CSB) English for IT exam validates a candidate’s ability to work in an IT setting or in an entry-level IT job using English. It tests knowledge of English competence in an IT-related environment, and also measures:
• Listening – A skilled listener can hear between the lines and help people work through questions, issues and problems related to information technology projects.
• Reading – Whether it’s understanding a client’s specifications, or searching for a solution to a problem online, it is essential to be able to read in English at a high level.
• Use of English – Use of English refers to the conventional ways in which words or phrases are used, spoken or written in an IT-related environment.
The CSB English for IT exam uses scenario-based reading, selected-response, and audio questions. This is a 90-minute exam with approximately 60 questions. An individual preparing to take this exam should have approximately 150 hours of instruction and/or hands-on experience in English competence in an IT-related environment.
To prepare for the English for IT certification, candidates have access to practice tests, as well as an entire learning course dedicated to the English for IT certification, which covers everything in the exam. The Exam Objectives form the basis for the learning materials, practice tests and the certification exam, and they outline the level of knowledge a candidate needs in order to pass the English for IT exam.